I’ve seen folks say that they are a “serial songwriter”. I write a fair bit but I usually have a whack of songs in various states of ‘finished-ness’ so I guess I am more a parallel songwriter. I’ve had a few cuts on various projects, other than my own of course, and I keep co-writing and just try to get stronger. It’s a process.
As for live shows, I am playing mostly solo/duo/trio, doing sideman work and working on a couple of project groups
Prehistory is below….
Up until now
2020 – International Singer-Songwriter Association – Vocal Duo Of The Year (gold)
2019 – International Singer-Songwriter Association – Duo Of The Year (bronze)
- 2020/21 – cancelled EU & CA tours due to plague
- 2019 – 2 Eastern Canada tours
- 2018 – August/September East Coast
- 2018 – July – B.C. tour
- 2018 – May/June Apples ‘n Oranges “When One Door Closes” EU Tour
- 2017 – September/October Cross Canada 2 of Hearts Tour
- 2017 – July/August East Coast 2 of Hearts Tour
- 2017 – April/May EU 2 of Hearts Tour
- 2016 – EU and Canada “East” tours
- Ready-Made Christmas
- On Being Human
- When One Door Closes
- 2 Of Hearts (EP)
- Alright (under previous name “ROCA”)
- ROCA Christmas!
I’ve been playing keyboards since I was about 7 in Edmonton, where I took piano lessons, just like everyone seemed to back then. After we lost the old Heintzman upright piano to a house fire I ended up with an organ and learned ‘pop’ organ, you know, things like ‘Up, Up and Away” and ‘Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head” but after a while I ended up taking classical organ and playing Bach and Handel on pipe organs in churches.
After highschool I went to Grant McEwan College (now a University) and did one year of the jazz program then went to BC, and found rock & roll. Please remember this was the 70’s. I played with bands like ‘The Dreaded Whirlies’ (really, honest) and ultimately ended up with ‘Flash Landing’ a top 40 show band and we bought a house in Edmonton and we all went to Grant McEwan, and I did my second year @ college. Then ensued more years of rock, country and whatever else came along until 1986 when I moved to Vancouver and for a number of years focussed on country and some R&B, blues & rock gigs, playing with various recording artists (Patricia Conroy, Susan Jacks, Buddy Knox, Jess Lee, Rocky Swanson, et al).
After 1992 I pulled back from touring to raise a child, stayed in Maple RIdge, BC, played weekends, hosted open mics, jam nights and took over producing a great Jazz & Blues festival for 5 years and then was Theatre Director at the Arts Centre Theatre for a couple of wonderful years, engaged with wonderful shows, major touring artists, and producing & hosting special events.
In 2015 I met Cailin Marie Green. We ended up playing as a duo, Campbell+Green, and had a very good band with us. Then decided to write our own music. To that end we hosted house concerts and had the artists, from Shari Ulrich to Valdy to Gaye Delorme, give workshops,. We dove in and loved it. We ultimately moved to Nova Scotia, recorded the albums noted below and toured Canada & the EU.
Today I write, record and now play solo, duo and band shows and will be releasing my own work as well as releasing more Campbell+Green tracks on occasion.
Robert Campbell has wide and varied experience in many aspects of the arts, Including:
– two years as Theatre Director for the Maple Ridge Arts Centre & Theatre, a 500 seat full facility theatre & a 180 seat ‘black box’ theatre
– five years as President/Festival Producer for the Maple Ridge Jazz & Blues Festival, building attendance to approx. 5000 for the event
– band and road manager for various touring and recording artists through the ‘80s, and,
– created and operated ‘Shimmers’ Jewelry, selling 10K+ units in Canada.
His skills include creative programming, artist booking and liaison, scheduling, promotions, staff management, sourcing suppliers & sponsors and budgeting.
Robert has served his local community in:
– Rotary International – Meadow Ridge Club 7 years – Club President 2008/2009.
– Director of Ceremonies & Events – BC Disability 2009 Games managing opening and closing ceremonies and ancillary events, booking artists, sound/lights/television camera crews, liaised with community groups and media
– BC Country Music Association – organizing and playing in backup bands for Awards, Talent contests, and events.
Robert owned Roca IT & Design with his wife/business partner/music partner Cailin Green.
Robert has also worked with:
– Coastal Range Systems as Team Leader Network Services,
– Canadian Forest Products in systems administration & special projects.
– IBM Canada as Systems/Technical Engineer.
Robert’s IT skills specialize in Web applications (eg: WordPress), business processes, LAN/WAN, Application, Databases, Windows Servers, Virtual Servers. In addition, Robert has excellent customer service and management skills.